I was cruising through CNN and saw this article and I had to stop and read the headline twice before I clicked on it:
Why many Americans prefer their Sundays segregated
I grew up in a very religious household and truth be told, I do believe in many of the teachings I learned in church as a child and as a teenager. Now the church we went to was all white. That's hardly news considering the state I live in is even now 97% Caucasian. But I never have seen a church that is fully integrated.
The problem I see stems more from the relics of organized religion than the actual teachings of whatever church you happen to attend. If you are so inclined, pick up a bible and thumb your way to the Book of John, Chapter 13, verse 34. It reads (and I have heard preached many a time) "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."
You would think that a passage so clearly stated from Jesus who EVERYONE in those churches claims to worship and obey would funnel on down to the issue of race. But somewhere along the line, the message is lost.
It's not only lost on a religious level, but on a social level too. Reports of racially inspired violence like the infamous Jena Six have become so commonplace in the world around us.
But isn't church supposed to be the safe haven from all of that? The one place where you can find acceptance and faith and charity for ALL people, not just the ones with the same color skin as ours?
I wonder what Dr. Martin Luther King, a pastor himself, would say if he looked and saw that the fight he fought for racial integration was wasted away in irrelevance in the one place where it should have weathered any storm...
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Segregation requested?
Posted by Unknown at 11:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 Comments:
Post a Comment