Monday, June 30, 2008

The Wake

So I had a wake to go to this evening. 25 year old guy. Dead and gone just like that. There are whispers of OD, but no one is really talking about it. I'm friends with his father and maybe someday stepmother. I met the kid a few times, he was a good guy.

As I'm standing in line, I'm of course forced to walk past the casket. So I take a look. One look was all it took for me to make a decision.

No embalming for me when I die.

None. Zero. If I die soon, anyone reading this should stop my family from embalming me. Do you know what they do to you when they embalm you? They drain your blood. Put a stopper in every orifice that might leak (I mean EVERY orifice) and then pump you full of toxins. Then they put that shitty make up on you and you just look like an awful, pale, cold wax figurine of who you are.

Please please please, just cook me and put my ashes in a nice stone. That's all I ask. I don't want to be sprinkled over some hillside or dumped in the middle of Lake Winnipesaukee, I just want to be burned and put in an urn in a stone like my grandfather. That's it.

Now I'm off before I get too many more morbid thoughts.

0 Comments: