Yesterday I turned in my resignation at work. I did so with some hesitation because I wasn't sure how it would be received. Honestly, I have never in my life quit a job. I've always been either laid off or fired...as bad as that sounds.
My thing that came up was my immediate supervisor came over and congratulated me and said he'd miss having me around. This coming from a guy I never see and only swap occasional emails with, but he made the effort which was nice.
A bit later, the big boss man came over and gave me a handshake and a congrats. Surprisingly he also told me he'd happily give me a reference if I needed one. I was really shocked by that because I've worked there for such a short period of time. But I have done well there with my stats and I get along with everyone for the most part.
The thing that really got to me though was something small and personal. I got a visit at my desk from Scott. Scott many years ago had an accident that left him crippled and now he can only walk with a pronounced limp and a cane. He heard the news and walked all the way to the other side of the room to wish me luck and to thank me for the times I've helped him out when I've covered when we were short of Tier 2's. It really touched me that he would struggle his way across the room for something he easily could have emailed or IM'd me.
So many times I get hung up on the bad things that people do, mostly because it gives me a chance to rant and rave and get some caustic shit out of my system. But times like this it reminds me that there are still really good people out there.
Friday, June 13, 2008
Sometimes people surprise in a good way
Posted by Unknown at 11:37 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 Comments:
the world seems a much nicer place when it surprises us with the last remnants of goodness it has left.
I've found that when it is harder for you to do something than everyone else, you appreciate the effort it takes. I'm so glad you recognized the gift he gave you. <3
Faith - there is some goodness left in this world, you just have to look a bit harder to find it.
Kelley - he's the nicest guy in the world and today I got reminded of what an effort it was for him because he was in such pain trying to walk today that they ended up calling his wife to bring him home.
Post a Comment