Sunday, June 29, 2008

The end of a chapter, the beginning of another

So Friday was my last day at the Get. It was strange for me. In all honestly, I've only ever resigned from one job before this one and that was a zillion years ago. I've been fired and laid off of late, but I haven't resigned from anything in about 15 years.

The thing of it is I wasn't really feeling a huge urge to leave. The fact is the pay was too low and the drive was too long. The job was ok, the people were pretty cool and I was just starting to get comfortable and getting to know how stuff gets done.

Numbers were exchanged, well wishes were made, hands were shaked. My boss was pretty cool about it and a few of my buds from there I'll keep in touch with.

Tomorrow morning I start the new job. New company, closer to home, better money. But no real benefits and it's contract work. Which means dumb shit like paper time cards and no paid time off. However the pay is MUCH better so I'll make the trade off. If I'm lucky, they'll bring me on permanently and I'll get a raise plus some benefits. I just have to work my ass off and do a good job by them and I'm pretty sure they'll bring me on.

In the meantime, as I am a bit short of funds and the weather was shitty, I decided to have my own lil party night in the house with my favorite guest...ME. Well me and Captain Morgans. Everything was going just fine until the fire alarm started going off in my building. So I go out into the hallway and then down out front and noticed something interesting.

No one was coming out.

HELLO?!?!? It's the FIRE ALARM. Used to indicate FIRE! But nope, only me and two guys visiting bothered to get out of the building. It was obvious that the building was not on fire or anything but we figured we'd wait for the fire department to come. We waited...and waited...and waited. We realized they weren't coming, even though the alarm was blaring. So we call the county dispatch and they send out one cop and one firefighter. That's it. Which got me to thinking.

If the building was on fire and the alarm was going off, where the fuck were the fire fighters? The one that came said they never got the alarm. This is more than SLIGHTLY disconcerting. A fire alarm that goes off for no reason and doesn't notify the fire department? Why bother having one?

I guess when you pay low rent, you get low rent. I just wouldn't expect the fire alarm to be a short cut.

1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

That's just bad. What's the point of even having a fire alarm if the fire department doesn't show?