Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Age

Most times when I toss something up here that involves my opinion, it's usually something I have already made up my mind on and I put it out there. What kind of self-important ass does that? This one, that's who. ;)

Anyway, I have a topic I am undecided on. Age in relationships. Specifically age gaps in romantic relationships. Most times I find myself on the bottom end because, well honestly I relate better to women that are older than me. Besides, I'm a chubby, bald fuck with grey hairs in my goatee, what young thing is going to be interested in me?

But alas don't I find myself pondering this very question on a random Wednesday night without a clear cut winner in the court of Phil's Opinion. So I will poll the few remaining regular readers of this wretched writing. (like the alliteration?)

Does age matter?

How big of a gap is too big?

Is it different talking older guy/younger girl than it is older girl/younger guy?

This inquiring mind wants to know...

8 Comments:

NysaK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NysaK said...

Meh age is age, I'm over 2 years older than Styles, the man I love most next to him is about 10 years older than me, and there are friends of every age in between for me. I think it's more about life stage than age, sure my friend S was 10 when I was born and but where we are now in our lives...it matters not. Same with Styles if we had met in Highschool me as a Sr being with a freshman would be a little creepy(imo) but as we age it's more about where you are in life, where your maturity is than the number of your years.

Ted said...

Think you know my answer to this one but I'll give it to you anyway since it's a "button" of mine these days...

I used to say age was just a number, with no qualifications to that. Now I don't believe there's really any set number that makes it "wrong" in my view but as NysaK said it is more about maturity and where you're at in life.

Having said that i think until you are of a certain age (early 20's?) there is more of a concern! My sis was only 16/17 when she got together with her "boyfriend", he was near on 40. I in no way think their relationship is a good thing, but that's not ONLY an age thing.

I'll shut up now, this one gets me going and I could carry on all night (kinda pushes the same button mentioning my bro and SiL does and you've had that one too ;) )

Ted said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KingOfAnkh said...

Hmm, tricky one.

My last gf was 19, I'm 34, so Ted would not agree with my relationship there and in a way I'd agree. She was mature in some ways, but in others she tended to annoy me. Plus I wasn't allowed to see her parents, which was probably a good thing.

On the other hand, a couple of years ago I was seeing a 52 year old, best sex I ever had, it did feel quite strange as one of her sons looked older than me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that age is a number, although it does matter in how you perceive the relationship.

KingOfAnkh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faith said...

My aunt married a guy who is 14 years older than she is.. and she was in her mid 20s when they got together. They're still very happy. I think it all depends on maturity. But I'll agree that there's a limit as to how young the younger one can be for it to work.

Anonymous said...

As pretty much everyone's said, it all depends on maturity. I can be pretty immature at times, and so could my ex, which worked out fine for three whole years, even though he was 8 years older than me. My current boyfriend is almost 2 years younger, and yet we get on like a house on fire. *shrug*