Tuesday, January 20, 2009

You want me to do what?

The phone rings at 9:30 today at work. I answer it like a good employee. My boss' boss is on the other end. By order of the company CIO I am in get the 36 inch TV set up in the cafeteria by 11 am so everyone can watch the inauguration. Ok. That's when it hits me:

We don't have cable or satellite in our building.

Ever try to find a computer in your office that you can wire directly into a TV set? Me neither. I find two...a desktop PC...and my laptop. Naturally I try the desktop but it doesn't have wireless and there's no drop in the cafeteria. Great.

So I drag out my laptop, get it all connected, get CNN's website up and at 11:45 it happens. CNN freezes. I sign off, sign back on...now there are too many people on CNN and I am told I have to wait in line. Wait in line for a webcast??? I try MSNBC, ABC, CBS, C-SPAN...nothing. By now they have sent an email to the entire building saying that they can watch the inauguration in the caf from 11:30-1. Greaaat. Now I have the Chief Technology Officer on my cell phone barking in my ear, my boss emailing me and a room full of people staring at me. Nooooo pressure.

Luckily someone mentions checking with the local ABC affiliate. I give it a try and there's the podium, a scant 3 minutes before they call Obama up to take the oath. Got it by the skin of my teeth.

BTW - did anyone besides me snicker when the oath got all fucked up?

5 Comments:

It's Just Me said...

I didn't watch the inauguration so I missed the oath. Tell me more! LOL

Great job on getting everything set up though!!

NysaK said...

I heard that the Chief Justice made a blunder heh

Spacey Stacey said...

yeah, i laughed too. after i panicked for a moment wondering why he was silent.

Unknown said...

We set up a projector in the board room and watched it through CNN's stream via a laptop. And, yes, I think someone screwed up on the oath.

LMC said...

I didn't get to watch it. I was taking calls in the call center...but I could hear it in the background of almost every call.