There are times when I wonder about how some people actually masquerade as parents. Today when I was watching the news, a story caught my eye for the obvious reasons as listed in the headline below:
Police: Woman Drunk, Passed Out With Children In Car
So you know I had to listen to get the scoop, it was worse than I thought.
SALEM, N.H. -- A mother is facing felony drunk driving charges after police said they found her drunk and passed out at the wheel of her vehicle and realized she had been driving with her children.
Laura Lasorsa, 38, was charged with aggravated DWI and endangering the welfare of a child. Police said her SUV was parked outside a Salem school, and her children, ages 5 and 9, let themselves out of the running car, walked to a chain link fence and called out until an adult noticed them.
Linda Gallagher said she was on her way home from an after-work cocktail at Sayde's restaurant next to the school when she heard the children.
"I heard some kids going, 'Please help me. Help me,'" Gallagher said. "And I looked over the fence over there, and there was a little girl and a little boy."
Gallagher said she couldn't believe what the children told her.
"She said, 'My mommy's drunk and passed out in the car,'" Gallagher said.
When police arrived, they found Lasorsa passed out inside the SUV with the engine running, the transmission in drive and her foot on the brake, Capt. Shawn Patten said.
The children said they were on their way to pick up their father from work. They made it about a mile from home before Lasorsa pulled into the school parking lot, Patten said.
Police wouldn't say how high Lasorsa's blood alcohol content was, but Patten said a breathalyzer test at the police station elevated the charge to aggravated DWI.
"Aggravated DWI is an upgraded charge of DWI, where the blood alcohol content is a .16 percent or over," Patten said.
A BAC of .16 is twice the legal limit.
The children were placed in the care of their father, and the Department of Children, Youth and Families was notified.
"Any time where we deal with a situation where the kids are involved and there's problems with an adult or parents, it's a sad situation," Patten said. "Obviously, our hope is that she gets the help she needs and they move on from there."
Did anyone notice that the passerby who heard the kids was...coming from a bar! Fitting for the state that has the second highest per capita beer consumption in the US.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Parental skills or lack thereof
Posted by Unknown at 8:44 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 Comments:
un-parent does shocks me anymore, and that in itself should be shocking..*sad sigh*
Unfortunately, I saw shit like this all the time when I was a cop.
It's familiar for me too. My driver never passed out, but when you're a kid entrusted to the care of a grown-up and that grown-up then drives you around terribly drunk, it gets confusing. You've been taught not to say "No!" very firmly to them, or at least the scenario of the driver being dangerously drunk has never been covered at that young an age, so you don't KNOW to say no either. And without a cellphone, you can't call anyone to say "please pick me up, my ride is in bad shape."
Doesn't really surprise me. Nowadays in belgium there is a trial going on against a mother who killed her five kids because she couldn't cope it anymore. Sad, but the world is going to doom.
I hate stories like this. I feel so bad for the kids. I also feel bad for the parent. I know they're dangerous and dangerous, but nobody just decides to be a drunk. They're sick and we'd be wrong to assume they don't feel uilt, at least some of them.
I wrote dangerous twice. Never have three Bloody Mary's before work...
Post a Comment