As Neil Diamond sings..."Where it began, I can't begin to know when."
That's just it, I have no idea when or where it began. Last night I was sitting here quietly thinking about a lot of things. I went out for a bit, swung by Jamie's house and he just looked at me and said "You look like shit". Matched how I felt, so I couldn't possibly be mad at the guy for being intuitive. He's known me 30 fucking years, I'd be insulted if he hadn't noticed.
I went home after being there for just an hour. I hung out, not accomplishing anything. Unless of course you consider the fight I got in over IM. What a pathetic cliche that is. IT guy gets in fights on the internet.
After that I spent a long time up thinking some more. I went into the bathroom and brushed my teeth. As I was standing at the sink, looking in the mirror...it hit me.
I don't like...me. I'm not happy.
It's a hell of a thing to acknowledge that our house of cards has toppled over. I suspect it was just a matter of time. I spent most of my childhood, teen and young adult years not liking myself. After I got divorced, things were looking good for a while there. My instincts were honed pretty well, I had a good eye on things and that was cool.
I'm not quite sure when that went away. It wasn't all at once. I'm sure it was a little bit at a time. To say that the last 2 years have been tough would be an understatement. Anyone close to me knows I've had to fight and scratch and claw to keep my head above water. But now it's not enough to just get by, I want to thrive.
Someone whose opinions I used to hold as valuable recently told me that I'm looking for someone to rescue me from my own self made misery. At first I was indignant, aghast. I'm sure it looked that way from her perspective, but that's not it at all.
I've spent the last little bit not wanting to be rescued. I've rejected help at every turn until it was impossible for me to go on without it. Jamie tells me I'm too prideful...even when I need help, I won't ask for it.
So what's my point here? What am I trying to say? I need to make changes. I'm not 100% sure of what they are, but what I am sure of is that they are mine alone to make. I firmly believe that we make our own happiness. If we depend on someone else for our happiness, we'll be perpetually disappointed.
It's time for the next step for me...I just need to find out which direction to step in.
Sunday, April 5, 2009
A change in the reflection
Posted by Unknown at 10:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 Comments:
I guess sometimes you get so caught up with just trying to eke out a living and stay sane that the deeper things, the intrinsic emotional value we place upon ourselves, is forced to take a back seat. Sometimes you don't realise that it's time to pay it some attention until crunch time arrives and you have no other choice.
I hope you get some good introspection out of this, and I hope you find yourself in a better place soon.
Here's to our own self-made bubbles of happy :)
i hope you find the answers you need.
Watch out for that dog shit!
These realizations spur growth. Growth is essential for our personal evolution. What sucks is often others see it way before we see it ourselves
Post a Comment