So today I got the official/unofficial word. The promotion that I got passed over for 6 weeks ago is now going to be mine after all.
This week they asked me to move from my comfy home at one of the satellite offices over to the corporate offices to back up a guy that was taking a few vacation days until his last day on Friday.
The new job means I will be the tech slave for the execs in the corporate office. It'll mean carrying the Blackberry and answering calls for help after hours or on weekends. But what it also means is a lot of visibility and profile, great networking and they are giving me about a 15% pay increase. Plus I get off of contract work and get full benefits.
But there is one big drawback. The office:
My office is called "The Fishbowl". As you can see there are windows right above my head that face one of the main hallways in the building. All day long people are walking by, looking in the window at me while I try and work which is distracting to say the least.
However, I spotted this dangling from one of the switches today and realized "Hey, this might really be the place for me."
9 Comments:
Congrats Phil!! I would post something over those windows pronto. Tell em you can't work in a fish bowl until you grow gills.
Dude.
Pick your nose and put snots all over the glass. They'll look anywhere but through the glass.
Way to go Phil. I gotta ask...Are you one of those "corporate suck-up" types? When you're interacting with the big-shots, do you address them as "yes Mr. Bigshot..." or "No Mrs. CEO"?
I'm a little curious to know how other people interact with such people. When I was in that situation, I addressed them by their first name. Is that disrespectful? They addressed me by my first name, I thought it appropriate to do so with them.
Hey, a big fish in a big pond.
Congrats!
well done!
Jana - I don't think I can cover them. There's some kind of safety thing about keeping them open.
Cherreh - I thought about it but I don't have enough snot to make a difference.
Doooh - No, I'm not a suck up type. But I will flirt with the execs' admin assistants. Those women can get you ANYTHING.
LOTGK - yeah, more like medium fish in a small pond. They loved the last guy, I have to work hard to make them love me.
Chandra - thank you thank you!
Sandi - I'm only the bitch for like 10 people, but I have a feeling that list will grow. I should have a tee shirt made that says "Will slave to Blackberry for food"
Congrats! Sounds like a great opportunity for you! Did the move to the corp. office make your commute longer?
Love your T-shirt idea!
Yeah, it makes my commute about 5-10 minutes longer just because I'm going to the northwest part of town...and I live east of the city.
Finally Phil!!! God for you. Just go to work and pick your nose or sit with your hand down the front of your pants and people will bugger off.
Post a Comment