Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Demand much?

I've decided to do a little bit of self examination today. In my mind I keep going over the same thing:

Am I too demanding?

One of the things I'm famous for telling people when they blame everyone else for things is "Well it can't be that you're right and everyone else is wrong."

So I wonder...is everyone right and I am wrong?

I find myself constantly disappointed by people. The thing is that I don't feel like I'm asking too much.

Be true to me and true to yourself.

Have my back, as I will have yours.

Appreciate that I am who I am and that's who you made friends with. I don't want you to change because I like you just the way you are.

Seems though that it just works out so rarely. People say to me at times "You know, you are so lucky to have a friend like Jamie that you've known since before kindergarten. No one has that." I recognize that, believe me. But is it too much to want more than one person to count on? Besides, there are things that he just doesn't understand so I can't share those with him.

As it stands, I don't really have all the answers. I doubt I ever really will. But you still have to ask the questions, even if just to vocalize it a bit to figure it out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes. More than one close mate = very healthy thing.

You have to have contrasting people... contrasting opinions.... contrast... like.... period! ...in your life. The problem is if you are like me, and have a need to delve very deeply into the psyche of each friend you have, and share very closely. It draws you very close to many different friends. Before you know it, you have ten best friends that all require high-maintenance, and get hurt when they find out you can't be available all the time, and are actually close to lots of people; not just them.

Unknown said...

I guess I don't feel the need to really drill into the psyche of all my friends, but certainly the interesting ones it's fun.

I have one friend I love drilling around inside her head because she's just exceptionally intelligent and well spoken. I have one friend, I want nothing to do with being in his head. LOL

It's just tough because when a friend fails, it really sucks because you've invested more.

Sandi said...

It's much more difficult as an adult because you have certain expectations that you didn't have as a kid. When you're a kid, the rules of friendship are simple. Any food is to be shared , all secrets are sacred and if I think your sister/brother is hot, I'm never gonna tell you. As an adult, works like honesty, integrity, respect and ownership of words come to mind. Those expectations, although valid, set you up to be disapointed and this time you can't just fix it with a shared bag of double bubble gum. Sucks because I think we need friends way more as an adult.

Anonymous said...

First off, having a really close friend for life is a real blessing, which you know.

Second, if you think you're too demanding of people, maybe you are. Don't take it as an insult, but usually when I ask myself those questions, I find out I'm doing what I fear. We're human.

Besides all that, having one person to count on is pretty good. Take it and run, dude. Most people only have one, if that.