You know some of those universal truths in life? Those ones like death and taxes and pop stars on drugs?
Last night one of those universal truths was broken.
Yesterday at work I get a call from the ex. Britt is acting up again. This time it's "I'm spending the night at my friend's house and there's nothing you can do to stop me". Wrong.
So I go to her work and surprise her. I tell her to call her boyfriend and tell him she won't be seeing him. I wait for her to get out of work and I take her back to her mother's house. After some back and forth, I tell her to pack some things because she's coming with me. She looks me right in the eye and says...
"No, I'm not going with you. You're not my father and you can't make me go."
Ummm...yeah, wrong answer.
Rather than reach out and smack her like I want to do, I decide on mental warfare. I call her mother down to the bedroom. I tell her what Brittany said and her mother says "Well I am your parent and I'm telling you that you're going with him." Brittany again refuses. So now it's time for me to start fucking freaking. But nope, not yet. So I reach out and snatch the cell phone out of her hand that she was texting with. That's when the child dun lost her mind.
She decided to take a swing at me.
I couldn't even believe it. She missed and all, but I couldn't even believe it. I was stunned with disbelief. Then she kept on coming, trying to get her phone back. At this point I felt like I had three options:
1. Reach out and pop her right in the mouth.
2. Take the phone (which actually belongs to her boyfriend) and throw it at the wall as hard as I can and watch it disintegrate into a thousand pieces.
3. Fend her off until she calms down and realizes what a huge mistake she just made.
I opted for number 3 this time. Mostly because as soon as Brittany jumped up at me, Candi ran and called the police. It's bad to have the cops show up and find your kid crying and bleeding on the floor which is what would have happened if I chose number 1.
So long story short. The cop showed up said she didn't want to stay with her mom and she didn't want to go with me either. The cop told Brittany her choices were either go with me and do what she's told, or get taken to the detention center for domestic violence. By this point she realized what she did and said she wasn't sure she wanted to go with me because of what she said to me.
Well she's here now for the next few days until I can figure out what the fuck to do with this whole situation.
Friday, October 3, 2008
And then pigs started flying
Posted by Unknown at 5:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 Comments:
I'm really sorry that things have got so bad my friend, I've read your blog for years, and I never saw this coming.
Stick to your guns is my advice, but seeing that my life is a ball of shite I don't blame you for not listening.
My daughter is now 35 and we get on brilliantly. We has a HORRENDOUS time together when she was young though and I can't go into it here but believe me everything that you can imagine that can go wrong (and I mean everything) happened.
Eventually we did have to have outside help and it took a long time to fix things - it may be something's happened you don't know about to trigger things but quite often young people won't confide or tell anyone what's a the root of things.
You can only be firm and fair and be there for her - you won't always be able to get her to do what you want so you need to make no idle threats but say what you mean and mean what you say so she can see the consequences of her actions.
So much more I could say but don't want to right here - good luck - make sure you look after yourselves as well as it could be a long haul!
Sounds like you did all that you could at the time Phil.
I think I was about the same age as Britt when I had a physical fight with my father. There were several reasons I "lost it" that day but it was a culmination of months of being in a bad place and keeping it to myself. For me (and my father) the result was an estrangement for about 3 years... guess where my stubborn streak came from.
I don't have any advice for you other than to tread lightly with Britt. I don't know if you could get her to talk openly with you but it'd be worth a try. I'd pretty much guarantee you don't know half of all that's going on in her life right now and chances are this all has very little to do with you personally.
I hope that this was her (and your) rock bottom and that things head in a better direction now! Thinking of you *hugs*
Sounds like some of the fights I had with my dad. Unfortunately he took the #1 option. I'm glad you didn't.
I know when I was that angry, even though I was pushing everyone away. The one thing I wanted the most was to be hugged and told that some one still loved me.
I hope you can work things out with her.
I'm sorry... But you did the right thing by taking the high road and being calm. Good Job there man!
Hopefully things will turn around and get better for you and your family.
Post a Comment