Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What ever happened to having class?

I was reading an article today on the NHL website about Sean Avery, a player for the Dallas Stars. Honestly I wasn't surprised, the guy is a pest and a cheap shot artist so I wasn't surprised. But what he said really got me going.

Avery basically made a joke about an opposing player who was dating his ex-girlfriend, referring to her as "sloppy seconds." He made sure he made the comment during a time when he knew the press would be looking for pre-game commentary.

It was so bad even his own teammates didn't want anything to do with it, well except for the young guys snickering like junior high school boys. The league decided to suspend Avery indefinitely. Probably to keep him from getting his ass kicked by one of the other guys in the game tonight.

I started thinking about it and it occurs to me that there is just no place for having any type of class in society anymore. I flip past any of the pop culture channels like MTV, VH1, E! or any of the others, it's just full of dopey people acting like trash.

Paris Hilton rearranging the letters on a Sonic Drive Thru sign to say "anal sex". Britney Spears...well...being Britney Spears. Turn on the NFL and watch guys pointing and talking smack for making a tackle. Hey dummy, it's your job to make tackles. You don't see me at work jumping up and down, yelling and pointing at a computer because I fixed it do you? Of course not, it's my job and I'm expected to do that. It's not a big deal, if I don't do it I get fired.

I even look at my own daughter who was in the living room with me, sitting with her boyfriend when she looks at him, lifts her leg and farts on him. For crying out loud even my own kid has fallen into it. Nothing like looking over and wondering how much white trash has settled into your own daughter.

Is anything going to change it? I doubt it. I'm sure my grandparents and my own parents have lamented the same things for generation to generation. But man it just seems worse now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my mother raised me strictly to be a lady, which is what all mothers used to do. But some people feel threatened by that and think I'm a snob.

LMC said...

It might have been tacky for him to say it....but suspend the guy indefinitely? Football players shoot themselves, beat there wives and fight dogs...there not out indefinitely.

I think manners are something that need to be taught when kids are young. Then they grow up classy.

Jana's Indigo Moon said...

Sean got 6 games and the Stars booted him out of the organization. As far as I am concerned, he can get booted out of hockey. He is an embarrassment and has major issues and helps to give hockey a bad name.

I agree with you about the class thing. So where did your daughter learn that? My own daughter would never do something like that and she is only 21.
It amazes me how little class there is out there anymore- which is why when someone shows it it really stands out.

We have to walk the walk and set an example- there are still those out there that watch and learn..